The oldest surviving tramcar bought new for the Douglas Bay Horse Tramway is 'Toastrack' no. 11, built in 1886 by the Starbuck Car & Wagon Co of Birkenhead. It is currently stored at Jurby, albeit in poor condition.
A total of 51 tramcars have operated on the Douglas Bay Horse Tramway since its opening in 1876. We are fortunate in that some 25 of those cars, in both original form and converted types, have survived to the present day, although many in private ownership.
Surviving double-deckers nos. 14 and 18 were both acquired second hand in 1887, but actually were built in 1883 and therefore are the oldest two tramcars. No.14 is on display in the Manx Museum and remains in near original form, whereas no.18 is still in service having been converted into a single deck saloon in 1903 and then back to a double-decker in 1988!
Winter Saloon car no. 1 is a later replacement of the 1876 original and dates from 1913, built by G.C. Milnes, Voss & Co of Birkenhead.
The youngest surviving tramcar, albeit in poor condition, is a more 'modern' all-weather convertible no.49, which was built in 1935 by Vulcan Motor & Engineering Co of Southport.
All the other remaining tramcars are centenarians, built between 1888 and 1911, making them by far the largest and most historic collection of original horse-drawn tramcars in the world.
The Tramcar Depot at Strathallan was built in 1895 as a single storey structure with storage space for up to 36 tramcars. The suite of offices on the first floor were added in 1935, but the inclusion of access stairwells reduced storage capacity to 27 tramcars.
Following further structural survey in 2016, it has been determined that the Strathallan Tramcar Depot is life-expired and requires either significant repair or full replacement to continue in use. Therefore the Isle of Man Government has proposed the erection of a temporary (up to 5 years) alternative structure on nearly vacant development land to accommodate the remaining 13 tramcars and up to 20 horses.